June 4, 2011

My disappointments of baking...

I was asked to make some cupcakes for one of my friends, Leanne's, bachelorette slumber party. I was told she really loved strawberries. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for me to try my hand at homemade strawberry icing.

The first batch of icing was no good. The strawberry puree didn't quiet mix in like it was supposed to so I realized I had added it too soon.

So I started a second batch. This batch was perfect. Seeing as how I am not a huge fan of strawberry icing, cakes, etc... however, this icing was to die for. (You can even ask Tyler.. he loved it!)

I get my pipping bag ready and start on the cupcakes.... and the icing literally slid off the cupcakes onto the table. I was dumbfounded. My next thought.. was just to try icing with a knife. I even added some cute sprinkles. Once again.. the icing was back on the table.

Here is the before shot.. you can kinda see the icing starting to run off the edge.

After feeling completely defeated I surrendered. I started my third batch of icing (at about 11:00 PM!) but this time it was plain ol' butter cream. I did color it pink to give it the "strawberry" effect.
My conclusion was the acid in the strawberry puree reacted with the sugar and wouldn't harden enough to stay on a cupcake.

Have you had any baking failures? Or, do you have a strawberry icing recipe for me? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment